Project finished

 

Hello!

This is it. The last entry I will make on the D.I.M.E.R mk1 project. A couple of weeks ago I started thinking about the design of the second version, at the moment mk2, more powerful, bigger, more precise and totally replicable so that anyone can build it. As soon as i design something i will publish it here, in a new section of this website.

I dont want to closed this project without uploading some videos, in the first one i programmed some movements, the second is from another perspective and the third is about the detail of the gears, I hope you like them.

See you soon!

You can see the new DIMER MKII at my Hackaday entry: https://hackaday.io/project/20505-dimer-mkii-large-open-robotic-arm

More power and accuracy

Hey everyone!

I’ve been working with gears and designing new ways of movement.

First of all i added another motor to the shoulder movement, so now, there are 2 identical motors moving this part.

Second, i changed the motor of the elbow, now there are 2 motor of old drills and, with a worm gear and a belt it’s moves perfectly.

i couldn’t make this real because i stayed without PLA and i couldn’t print all the parts but i have photos of some parts and the entire design in CAD.

One important fact is that i tested the new assembly of the shoulder and i can pick up 2 KG at 2,5 meters of distance, that it’s a lot of efforts and the gears work fine 🙂 you can see this test and the final of this log.

Because of this, i improved the movement of the shoulder and now it can rotate 330 degrees at this axis.

Probably in 1 or 2 weeks i will print this new assembly and make a video working and moving.

I reccomend seeing all the following pictures and if you have any question or comments please, let me know 😉

See you soon!

20160804_22521820160804_22502320160804_225154photoesquema 1esquema 2esquema3esquema4esquema5

Hi everyone!

In the previous post i improved accuracy addi20160703_102539ng a belt to the shoulder and it worked fine, but this way I couldn’t apply force to both direcctions, so I decided to make a printed gears.

After design and some quick calculation this is the result. In fact this  new assembly make posible that the arm can be dismounted by removing the two pieces that are above the axis to transport it easier.


Here’s a video of how they work:

Now I’m thinking about how to add a spring to help to lift the arm, it would be something like the following image.

See you soon!

DIMER4

Improving shoulder accuracy

Hi everyone!

Since the last video (programmed movements) I’ve been thinking that had very little precision when lowered the arm. Analyzing the movement 20160413_151636discovered that the craft that i made with two aluminum profiles were fine for a pinch, but it turns out that after many hours of use rubbing causes a lot of wear.

So I took the piece that had previously made with profiles and put the shoulder directly attached to a spindle and this supported directly on the fork as you see in the picture.

 

Then I removed the motor shaft and designed one to print it in 3D. To put up with all the s20160420_140854trength to raise the arm, I made hollow. Inside is a metal bar I got from a printer. Besides pulling straps instead of ropes, this also gives a more fluid movement

 

 

 

 

 

This way is now mounted, with much more precision but still can improve a lot.

 

 

Here you can see the video I made with the new joint and then the video before the change, so it looks good the difference.

See you soon!

First programmed movements

 

Hi!20160109_003545

In january i bought a Prusa i3 Hephestos and started learn 3d design, i thought about doing some gears for the elbow, i used openSCAD and it was perfect.

I changed the ropes from the elbow and now use gt2 belts because of the accuary and easy to use.

By other hand i fixed all the potentiometers to know the possition of every angle and did a short code about pick and place some object, in the future i’ll design an interface to did it easily.20160303_025810

I printed a master arm to control D.I.M.E.R so if you move the master arm D.I.M.E.R act as a slave arm so the mannual control it’s very comfortable. I found this arm at thingiverse and it’s a project from the university of Curtin.

Here’s my first video of programmed movements, i need to improve the accuary,

See you soon!